Editor Small Business Trends At FitSmallBusiness Full-time Job1 week ago - Independent & Freelance - New York City - 13 views
Editor, Small Business Trends
Your job in a nutshell: plan,assign, and edit informative articles about business, entrepreneurship, and workplace topics.
- Fit Small Business seeks a Small Business Editor with a journalism background.
- You will help spearhead a new content initiative, assigning and editing a mix of small-business-related explainer articles along with news-driven polling and data stories focused on the issues that impact business owners across the country.
- You will plan and conduct original research, polling, and surveys so that we can be a primary source for data journalism.
- We’re a fast growing small business ourselves, and your work will contribute to our evolving content operation and bolster our brand reputation as the most authoritative source on the web for small business information.
- Your role will likely evolve quickly to match the pace of our scaling, and that’s part of what would attract you to FSB. Our Mission: To deliver the best answers to people’s questions.
Named to the Inc. 500 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies, Fit Small Business has more than three million small business owners and managers reading our content each month. We deliver well-researched, authoritative articles so these owners can make informed decisions to grow businesses that fuel the economy. Our founders have built successful businesses before, and FSB is profitable with no outside funding. Part of the team of 170+ people is in our NYC headquarters, near Grand Central. Others are distributed across the U.S., Canada, and the Philippines.
This position includes:
- As the Small Business Editor you will help lead a new content team charged with innovating new coverage ideas and developing a strategy to distribute content on Google search and social media.
- You will be assigning and editing a range of articles, including:
- Polling and data-driven articles that tell the story of small business today - how are things like the shifting economy and the trade war with China impacting American small business owners?
- Broad, authoritative articles on business topics that deliver practical information for people looking to grow their small businesses - what basics do budding entrepreneurs need to know to become successful?
- Your own article concepts with the goal of broadening our readership and our reputation as the best small business information resource on the web. * Working with a growing team of writers, editors, and graphic designers to create a compelling package of small business-related content that includes category-leading articles, authoritative reference content, and evocative infographics that tell stories in a new way.
- Working with contractors and freelancers to package timely statistics, newsmaker quotes, and data that can be used as a resource for others across the web.
- Pairing tenacious fact-checking with creative, conversational storytelling to engage readers.
- Working with our marketing team to identify traffic opportunities and write content that ranks in search and delivers the best answers to small business owners’ questions.
- Driving awareness by promoting your articles on social media and connecting with influencers to showcase your expertise, authority and trust.
- Helping build a content company with a solid revenue model, contributing to a team that’s expanding rather than contracting, and innovating new ways to deliver information to a digital audience.
Does this sound like you?
- You’re an ideas machine, able to look at the biggest trends in the business world and pick out the smartest angles for articles.
- You have a nose for determining the most impactful information audiences are searching for, and delivering compelling content that answers their questions.
- You have a talent for working with writers to produce articles that make complex topics simple.
- You’re comfortable using data and analytics to inform your decisions and drive story ideation.
- You enjoy working with a growing team in an entrepreneurial, start-up atmosphere.
- You communicate clearly, providing context and clarity so your team can act.
- You organize in order to move quickly and support team collaboration.
- You value working with forward-thinking, curious, and supportive teammates.
- You enjoy working with digital media and take pride in collaboratively producing high quality content.
The successful candidate for this Small Business Editor role will be a standout editor ready to work in a highly collaborative environment.
- Assist and edit writers to produce compelling small business articles, breaking down complicated subjects into big picture articles for a general audience.
- Connect our content areas to news topics and current events.
- Help build content calendars that create comprehensive small business coverage
- Work collaboratively with the design team to pair great articles with original infographics and the marketing team to plan aggressive marketing to reach our audience.
- Use statistics to drive article ideation and paint a clear and compelling picture.
- Compile and analyze data and break down information into meaningful stories.
- Identify topics online journalists, writers, and publications are likely to cite or link to, and develop content around those areas.
- Find web pages that have successfully obtained links in the past, identify how we can write a better article, and write that better article for publication on our site.
- Provide guidance to divisional teams on how they can make content more linkable.
- Use AP style writing, copy-editing, and research skills.Your background:
- You have a track record of producing articles that have received viral digital coverage.
- You have multiple years of experience writing for online news or general interest outlets, with some of that time managing or coaching other writers.
- You tell a great story with compelling data and tight, precise language.
- You understand what makes a story readable, whether it is a hard-hitting, facts-based article or lighter fare.
- You understand all things editorial, especially on topical, news-oriented content.
- You may have managed contractors and/or freelancers to produce content that aligns with organizational standards and priorities.
- You have a track record of producing articles that have received viral digital coverage.Tools you will use:
Insightly, G Suite, Slack, Trello, Wordpress, Guru, Ahrefs, SEMRush, Moz
It's OK if you have not used these,just be excited to learn them.
What we offer you:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience
- Quality health insurance subsidized by FSB
- 401 K plan with matching (no waiting period)
- Flexible Spending Accounts and Commuter Benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability paid by FSB
- Social hours and employee events
- An open-minded, collaborative workplace, which will both challenge you and celebrate your work
- The opportunity to grow
- A chance to learn with and from interesting and hard-working colleagues
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age,marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Monday to Friday