District Park & Watercraft Manager - 20050008 Full-time Job1 week ago - Sales & Services - Van Buren - 91 views
Primary Location: United States of America-OHIO-Hancock County
Organization: Natural Resources
Classified Indicator: Classified
Bargaining Unit / Exempt: Exempt
Work Hours: 8am-5pm subject to change
Unposting Date: Feb 23, 2020, 10:59:00 PM
Job Function: Parks and Recreation
Agency Contact Name: firstname.lastname@example.org
Agency Contact Information: 614-265-6981
District Park & Watercraft Manager - 20050008
Job DutiesThe Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) mission is to ensure a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Click the following link to learn more about the Division of Parks and Watercraft.
What you’ll do:
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan, manage & oversee all facilities, resources, & operations for all state parks within the division's Northwest District (i.e., Catawba Island, East Harbor, Harrison Lake, Independence Dam, Kelley's Island, Malabar Farms, Marblehead Lighthouse, Mary Jane Thurston, Maumee Bay, Middle Bass Island, North Bass Island, Oak Point, Sandusky Watercraft Office, South Bass Island, Van Buren)
- Collaborate with division & agency administrators to implement park programs, projects, policies & procedures
- Formulate district goals & priorities
- Provide technical guidance & direct supervision
- Provide exceptional customer service & manage stakeholder relationships
- Participate in speaking engagements, marketing strategies, public information meetings, etc.
- Coordinate activities with other park districts, ODNR division/offices & outside entities
What’s in it for you:
- Ability to work outside & oversee a variety of parks & watercraft areas throughout Northwest Ohio
- Experience something new every day while managing multiple parks with varying resources, budgets, projects & goals
- Provide a great public relations impact for ODNR & the Northwest Park District
- Enjoy the extensive benefits offered by the State of Ohio
Benefits To You:
- Extensive benefits including medical, vision, dental and basic life insurance
- Prescription coverage and wellness financial incentives are offered with medical coverage
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid time off with vacation, sick and personal leave accruals
- At least a 14% employer contribution in to your OPERS pension plan
- Pay increases pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code
- Employee Tuition reimbursement programs
Official Position Description:
Plan, manage & oversee all division facilities, resources & operations within a state park district & collaborates with agency administration & division management in the development, recommendation & implementation of programs, policies & procedures: formulates district goals & priorities (e.g., prioritizes & plans for district projects, plans & coordinates personnel needs, determines district budgetary needs & manages resources within, analyzes district revenue, reviews & approves or disapproves district fee schedule, reviews & monitors district fee adjustments, manages resources necessary to accomplish district projects, monitors purchases to ensure compliance); directs subordinate managers & supervisors responsible for park management & watercraft operations (e.g., facilities & equipment, park & watercraft resources, public safety, custodial & maintenance, visitor services, programs & activities, capital design & construction, education & information, human resources); develops & coordinates maintenance, repair & replacement projects (e.g., suggests projects, oversees completion of projects, monitors spending); provides technical guidance & supervises assigned staff (e.g., establishes goals & expectations for park managers, completes & reviews performance reviews, participates in administrative investigations, disciplinary &/or grievance matters, conducts routine park inspections & provides feedback, approves leave, conducts training).
Serves as liaison between agency & other entities (e.g., concessionaires, governmental agencies, contractors): conducts lodge/concession reviews & inspections; ensures concessionaire inspections & contracts are current; participates in public relations (e.g., speaking engagements, marketing strategies, public information meetings informational materials); speaks to large groups & various media outlets; monitors volunteer & friends group activities & relationships; works with managers to address customer complaints.
Performs administrative functions (e.g., develops district equipment replacement plans, oversees district inventory, approves or disapproves district purchase orders, prepares justification for purchase orders, collects & reviews cost comparability studies, reviews emergency action plans, directs the maintenance of all records and preparation of reports, prepares work proposals, coordinates & recommends concessionaire contracts); maintains district compliance with administrative directives & policies; coordinates district fleet (e.g., develops & coordinates district fleet plan, approves or disapproves fleet expenditures); attends meetings (e.g., ODNR, Army Corp of Engineers, boating associations, safety councils) & serves on committees.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT REQUIRED TO REMAIN IN THE CLASSIFICATION AFTER EMPLOYMENT:
Positions operating watercraft must complete boat operator education course per Ohio Revised Code 1547.05.
UNUSUAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
May be called 24 hours per day, 7 days per week; may work evenings, weekends &/or holidays; may be exposed to chemical spray, dirt, dust fumes & noise, unpleasant odors, human & animal waste; may be exposed to dangerous machinery; may work in or near water; works outside to include walking long & short distances, climbing & navigating rough terrain, steep slopes & embankments & exposure to outdoor elements (e.g., inclement weather, animals, insects, poison ivy); may be exposed to unsafe conditions.
QualificationsCompletion of graduate core program in natural resources management, parks & recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, business or public administration; 12 mos. exp. in natural resources or parks & recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, business or public administration; 12 mos. supervisory exp.; valid driver’s license.
- Or completion of undergraduate core program in natural resources management, parks & recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, business or public administration; 24 mos. exp. in natural resources management, parks & recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, business or public administration; 12 mos. supervisory exp.; valid driver’s license.
- Or 48 mos. trg. or exp. in natural resources management, parks & recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, business or public administration; 12 mos. supervisory exp.; valid driver’ license.
- Or 24 mos. exp. as Park & Watercraft Manager 1, 22516; valid driver’s license.
- Or 12 mos. exp. as Park & Watercraft Manager 2, 22517; valid driver’s license.
- Or equivalent of Minimum Class Qualifications for Employment noted above.
Knowledge of: inventory control, budgeting, project management, employee training & development, supervision, safety practices (employee safety, equipment operations)*, human relations, agency policies & procedures (department, division)*, government structure & process (policies, procedures & standards)*, interviewing, business (recreation management, facility management, hospitality management, development & administration), natural sciences (pertaining to park & watercraft operations & outdoor recreation), electronic data processing (Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Systems)*, law (local, state, federal)*.
Skilled in: word processing (Microsoft Office), skilled & semi-skilled trades (e.g., carpentry, plumbing, heating, electrical, lock administration, water quality & management)*, equipment operations (general office equipment, motorized vehicles, personal protective equipment, hand & power tools).
Ability to: deal with many variables & determine specific, maintain accurate records, establish & maintain working relationships & demonstrate professionalism & exceptional customer service, engage in physical activities (e.g., walking, climbing, navigating uneven or rough terrain, prepare & deliver speeches before specialized audiences & the general public, develop complex reports & position papers, gather, collate & classify information about data, people or things.
NOTE: Final position location will be determined with the successful applicant. Possible locations are as follows:
- East Harbor State Park - 1169 N. Buck Road, Lakeside-Marblehead, Ohio 43440
- Harrison Lake - 26246 Harrison Lake Road, Fayette, Ohio 43521
- Independence Dam - 27722 State Route 424, Defiance, Ohio 43512
Mary Jane Thurston State Park - 1466 State Route 65, McClure, Ohio 43534
Maumee Bay State Park - 1400 State Park Road, Oregon, Ohio 43616
Van Buren State Park - 12259 Township Road 218, Van Buren, Ohio 45889
Effective July 1, 2015 applicants must apply online for positions at all state agencies except the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD).
The final candidate selected for the position will be required to undergo a criminal background check. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude an applicant from consideration for a position. An individual assessment of an applicant's prior criminal convictions will be made before excluding an applicant from consideration.
STATUS OF POSTED POSITIONS: Applicants can view the status of this position by logging into their user profile on the Ohio Hiring Management System [OHMS] Home page at the following link careers.ohio.gov, and selecting "My Profile".
Selection devices, proficiency testing and/or assessments may be used to determine if an applicant meets and is proficient in the minimum qualifications for this position.
Applicants may attach the following document types:
- Microsoft Word (.doc and .docx)
•PDF (.pdf), •Plain Text (.txt)
- Rich Text (.rtf).
Please do not upload attachments that have an anomaly or are password protected.