AVID Tutor (Grade: 6-8) Full-time Job5 months ago - Public Service - Dallas - 146 views
AVID Tutor Position
Under direct supervision of the AVID Coordinator/teacher(s), tutors will perform the following tasks:
- Tutors will be trained to use the AVID curriculum materials and strategies (including including questioning, writing, reading, thinking, and discussion strategies) to facilitate small group tutorial sessions during the AVID Academic Elective class periods.
- Determine from student notes and discussions, the concepts that need t o be taught or retaught.
- Conduct tutorial sessions in all areas of mathematics; therefore a strong math background is recommended.
- Conduct min-lessons in the process of writing in all subject areas, study skills, and other aspects of college preparation.
- Work with students in any phase of the writing process, such as brainstorming, drafting, revision, and editing.
- Evaluate student binders, including calendars, class and textbook notes, etc.
- Become familiar with the materials in the AVID curriculum libraries.
- Become familiar with the textbooks and materials used by AVID students.
- Set an example of personal excellence and high expectations for AVID students to follow.
- Encourage students to enroll in rigorous courses and ultimately in post-secondary educational paths after high school graduation
- Collaborate and communicate frequently and honestly with the AVID coordinator/teacher regarding student progress and areas of concern.
- Maintain a cooperative, professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Chaperone AVID students on college field trips, where possible
- Complete 16 hours of required training.
- Comply with all district and campus policies and procedures.
- Accredited High School Diploma or equivalent (U.S.A. equivalency)
- Must complete 16 hours AVID tutoring training upon hiring
- Current college students with strong math and science background preferred (minimum 2.5 GPA)
- Provide academic support to middle school and/or high school students
- Possess excellent organizational and motivational skills
- Ability to work with people from diverse ethnic groups
- Initiative and willingness to follow verbal and written instructions
- Effective communication skills both in oral and written form
- Ability to relate to students, faculty, and parents in a positive manner
- Exercise discretion regarding matters of sensitive or confidential nature
Work Locations: Seagoville Middle School 950 WOODY ROAD Dallas 75253
Shift: Day Shift
Minimum Salary: 22.22
Median Salary: 26.26
Job Posting: Jan 23, 2020