Appointment Clerk/Medical Receptionist, Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center
- Hayward, CA
- $19.59-22.04 per hour
- Monday through Friday with periodic Saturday hours
- 40 hours per week
The appointment clerk/medical receptionist works under the supervision of the medical reception supervisor.
He’s responsible for a range of duties for the agency, including serving as the potential patient’s initial point of contact over the phone. The position is considered a crucial link between the patient and the care delivered by the clinical and service staff of the center. This individual must work collaboratively with all Clinical services staff in support of direct patient services, exhibiting flexibility and a “can do” attitude. Patient services are the key priority in this position requiring the Appointment Clerk/Medical Receptionist to serve as a point of contact with other internal and external departments, all with the goal of fostering an environment that promotes patient comfort and trust. The position must exemplify the core values and mission of the organization, always exercising utmost discretion, diplomacy, and tact in patient/staff interactions.
The Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center is a non-profit community health center whose mission is to improve the health and wellbeing of our community by integrating primary care, dental care, WIC support, mental health counseling, community health education, and other services into easily accessible, high-quality care.
Compensation: $19.59 – $22.04 per hour, depending on experience.
- Performs day-to-day administrative functions and general office duties.
- Provides information to Clinic callers according to the Clinic’s Policies and Procedures; transfers calls as needed; works with central reception to ensure adequate phone coverage at all times.
- Determines the goal of the visit and guides patients, clients, and visitors to the appropriate person or department(s). Welcomes and greets patients, clients, and visitors to the department in a helpful and friendly manner.
- Schedules patient flow to the clinic based on predetermined appointment arrangements to allow the clinic to serve an adequate number of patients as established by grant requirements.
- When scheduling an appointment, carefully screens patients for new addresses, new patient visits or update registration and informs patients of adequate information that must be presented at the time of visit.
- Adheres to all Clinic policies on safety and security; maintains restricted areas safe by safeguarding keyless entry codes and computer system passwords in strict confidentiality.
- Must exercise utmost diplomacy and tact to provide excellent customer service for patients; practice confidentiality and privacy protocols in accordance with Clinic policies and HIPAA requirements.
- Maintains patient waiting areas, office files, and front-desk areas in a manner that is organized and neat.
- Informs patient of any existing balance noted in computer and requests patient be prepared for any payment due at time of visit.
- Calls patients daily to confirm the next day’s appointment.
- Verifies method of payment for service (MediCal, Medicare, private insurance, private payee, Healthy Families, etc.) and collects data and/or payment as appropriate.
- When resolving patient complaints, practice problem-solving and conflict-resolution techniques; as necessary, refer patient complaints to the proper appointed people.
- Attends scheduled department staff and clinical meetings.
- Performs all duties and services in full compliance with TVHC’s Service Excellence Standards.
- Performs all duties in support of successful EHR/EPM implementation.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required.
- Prior administrative or clerical experience in clinical or community-based settings is highly preferred.
Intermediate to intermediate phone skills; able to relate to patients, clients, and visitors both in person and over the phone in a way that is successful and efficient.
- Must be highly flexible; able to accommodate changing needs of the department.
- Knowledge of basic math and modern office procedures.
- Ability to work well under pressure with minimal supervision. Proven flexibility and willingness to handle a variety of tasks.
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends.
- Ability to travel to designated locations as required by the supervisor.
- Basic to intermediate computer knowledge and skills.
- Training and/or experience with computer data entry and ability to type a minimum of 45 WPM.
We offer excellent benefits including: medical (100% paid co-payments, premiums, etc.), dental, vision (including dependent and domestic partner coverage), generous paid leave benefits including holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts, retirement plans with an Employer match, tuition reimbursement, monthly treats, pet insurance, and more.
How to apply:
- Just click on the button below the Apply page will open in the next tab.
- Signup with your email and confirm your email ID
- Put your details and submit your application
- Upload your resume if applicable